About This PDF
The English in Action series provides a range of fun, practical drama-based activities for students in Years 7–11. Particularly useful for English and Drama classes, these stand-alone activities can be used in any order to suit your curriculum. Each activity comes complete with full teacher notes and printable activity pages – picture cards, word cards, student journal sheets or whatever is required in the class.
Extension ideas are also offered to lengthen each activity or provide new challenges for advanced students. These activities will do more than just improve skills in Drama – students will use their problem-solving, teamwork, performance, improvisation and writing skills to work with language in innovative ways. You’ll also find plenty of tips for encouraging even the most timid students into participating! Series 1 also includes ‘script starter’ ideas and a page of handy scriptwriting tips to help budding playwrights create their own work.
Use Instant Lessons to supplement your existing resources, to extend student capabilities, for revision purposes, or for class work when the regular teacher is absent.
- Actionary – just like the game Pictionary, but with mime
- Commercial – analysing and creating advertisements
- Lexical sandwich – throwing wacky words into a role-play
- Character construction – building a new personality
- Dispositions – injecting different emotions into a simple script
- Snowball situations – collaborative storytelling on paper
- Scenario creation – transforming pictures into scripts
- Monologues – writing monologues from a simple scene
- Building stories – collaborative storytelling around the classroom
- What a weekend – piecing together a story of a wild weekend
- Secondary - Junior
- Secondary - Middle
- Instant Lessons