About This PDF
The Achieve! series of Maths titles has been developed for teachers who require modified, curriculum-focused activities for secondary school students. It is aimed at students who, because of poor literacy skills, struggle to read and comprehend regular classroom materials. Some activities are more challenging than others. The activity sheets are also suitable as supplementary material for regular classes. They may also provide useful revision in preparation for state-wide or national numeracy testing.
This downloadable PDF resource is divided into five units, each of which focuses on a topic or set of skills to do with graphs, number patterns or algebra. The Teachers' notes provide valuable guidance about using each unit, and contain the following elements:
- Curriculum links – The activity sheets will enable students to achieve outcomes required for the following State levels or stages: New South Wales – Stages 4 and 5, Victoria – Levels 5 and 6, Queensland – Levels 4, 5 and 6.
- Objectives – These are the key skills and knowledge learnt through using the activity sheets.
- Prior knowledge – This refers to the skills and knowledge that are required for students to complete the tasks.
- Background – This section provides a range of different types of useful information to help teach this unit. It can include explanations of key concepts and terminology or further background notes about the subject matter.
- Starter activity – Warm-up activities are provided to put the content into proper context and to gain student interest and attention.
- Activity sheets and answers – A summary of the content of each activity sheet is provided, along with teaching tips and selected answers to assist with time-efficient marking.
- Extension ideas – Additional activities or discussion ideas are suggested to recap on the main skills, knowledge or terminology taught, as well as ways to extend, assess or consolidate student understanding.
- Secondary - Junior